On 5/10/2021 9:18 AM, Thangalin wrote:

    One of the benefits of context minimals is that you can install
    multiple versions in parallel, which allows the user to update
    frequently without the risk of breaking something for long-term
    projects. Specifically, you can keep a "frozen" version of context
    for long-term projects and install a newer version in parallel for
    newer projects.

For sure! My environment looks as follows:

export CONTEXT_HOME=/opt/context
export PATH="$PATH:...:$CONTEXT_HOME/tex/texmf-linux-64/bin:..."

The /opt/context directory is a symbolic link, which eases switching between versions: I seldom have to change the environment variables settings.

    So, your suggestions should be included as a separate script and not
    as part of the default. Then there is the question of providing an
    uninstall script as well...

Using a ConTeXt-specific environment variable (e.g., LMTX_HOME) would make uninstalling a matter of removing it from the PATH and registry (on Windows, anyway). Here are the current instructions:

https://github.com/DaveJarvis/keenwrite/blob/master/docs/typesetting.md#windows <https://github.com/DaveJarvis/keenwrite/blob/master/docs/typesetting.md#windows>

Is there a way we can eliminate steps 3 - 6 for Windows installs?
if one starts up mtxrun or context with a fully quallified path it will work ok (because it then knows where it sits in the tex tree), like

c:\data\context\tex\texmf-win64\bin\mtxrun --script context ...