On 2021-05-28, Alan Braslau <braslau.l...@comcast.net> wrote:
> On Fri, 28 May 2021 13:02:10 -0400 (EDT)
> Aditya Mahajan <adit...@umich.edu> wrote:
>
>> > If you have not defined a publisher, how should ANY format place the
>> > undefined publisher's name?
>>
>> Simply leave it blank?
>
> If there is no publisher, then @unpublished is a better category. APA
> explicitly, and for good reason, accounts for self-publishing,
> indicating that the Author was the publisher.

Ah ok, that explains the output I was obtaining. So, I am using the
wrong bibliographic style for my purposes. In practice, at least in
Computer Science, publishers (and also editors) are often omitted in
references (it's more a "don't care", rather than a "don't know" thing,
though).

> If a publisher does not exist, was it published?
>
> If the publisher is unknown, then why not state that:
> publisher="unknown publisher", or whatever?

Strictly speaking, your reasoning makes perfect sense, and I am all for
enforcing constraints if a given bibliographic style requires them. But
then, there might be alternatives for when one does not need to adhere
to those styles. Does ConTeXt (LMTX) currently provide anything else
besides apa and aps?

I have read the BibTeX manual looong time ago, but I remember that there
were mandatory and optional fields for each reference type. My memory
may fail me, but I think that Editor and Publisher were not mandatory
fields for inproceedings and article (I think Publisher is mandatory for
book). Is there a bibliographic style in ConTeXt that follows those
rules?

Bibliography management is very sophisticated in ConTeXt (much more than
LaTeX) and I have not grasped all of its details yet. It seems to me
that it has also evolved quite a bit in recent years. So, the "ConTeXt
way" of doing bibliographies still eludes me to some extent.

Nicola