I can confirm that this works. As Wolfgang notes protrusion is only partial
with the default settings, but you can tweak it with \setupfontprotrusion (see
below).
\setupfontprotrusion [quality] [left=2] is probably what you want since this
puts the complete quotation mark into the margin.

I don't know what the numbers mean. Maybe someone can add to this.

Denis

========================
%\setupfontprotrusion [quality] [left=0] % no protrusion on the left margin
\setupfontprotrusion [quality] [left=1] % default
%\setupfontprotrusion [quality] [left=1.5] % more protrustion
%\setupfontprotrusion [quality] [left=2] % even more protrustion
%\setupfontprotrusion [quality] [left=2.5] % too much protrusion

\definefontfeature
  [default]
  [default]
  [protrusion=quality,