On 6/18/2021 12:10 AM, Henning Hraban Ramm wrote:
I usually convert all kinds of quotation marks into \quotation{} / \quote{}
using the regex search of my editor; a regex replacement is also part of my
docx-to-ConTeXt converter script. (I see no need to avoid regexes, but YMMV.)

The biggest problem I face are mixed and wrong quotation marks, e.g. English
marks in a German text, a mixture of curly/straight marks, traditional LaTeX q.
marks and similar mistakes. Some programs have a default of English single
quotes with German double quotes :(

In what kind of workflows does your program make sense?
(Please don’t be offended, my view is limited.)
lua is normally fast enough to handle it wirh a few expresions or lpeg but in the end it depends on hwo far one will go

for instance, if it is for converting gutenberg files that extensive conversion can help ... with intermediate test runs (for instance coloring quitations quickly shows a runaway that then can be fixed in the input

For instance:

"Not all open quotes are closed...

kind of tricky because there one needs to know the source so there is no real universal solution (one could layer it)

in the past we had projects where we did the rendering and used tex but the rendering was trivial ... they came to us because we were able to turn crap into useful (it's unbelievable what can come from databases or generated from web applications, lack of symmetry, multiple escaping, bad encodings, inconsistencies) ... unfortunately the money is often already spent in getting to the stage where the crap is produced

but anyway after year sone kind of knows that there is always a solution (also because tex and related tools are so flexible and can help with diagnosing)