Hi,

As is written in the MetaPost manual: Whatever generates a new
anonymous variable each time it is used. It is very useful in cases
where you are not interested in the value of a variable, but want to
use it to (let MP) calculate something. Example

you have three points z0, z1, z2 forming a triangle, and you want to
find where the altitude from z0 is intersecting the line between z1
and z2. You can find that intersection z3 by writing

z3 = whatever[z1,z2] = z0+whatever*dir(angle(z1-z0)+90));

The first equality says only that z3 should be on the line between z1
and z2, the second one says that z3 should be on the line through z0,
perpendicular to the line between z1 and z2. Since MetaPost solves
linear equations, this defines z3, and we need not to think more about
the actual values of the "whatevers" (note that they are not in
general equal in this example!).

Hope it helps!

/Mikael