On 6/25/2021 12:18 AM, luigi scarso wrote:

On Thu, Jun 24, 2021 at 7:29 PM Hans Hagen <j.ha...@xs4all.nl <mailto:j.ha...@xs4all.nl>> wrote:

    Hi,

    I uploaded a new version. I got sidetracked by an experiment. We can
    read from zip files, but as I had some tar archives I wondered if we
    could read from them. They happened to be compressed. It uses an
    already
    present infrastructure (early mkiv I played a bit with reading from zip
    files).

libarchive looks quite useful
http://libarchive.org/ <http://libarchive.org/>
(see https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/virtualization/community/team-blog/2017/20171219-tar-and-curl-come-to-windows <https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/virtualization/community/team-blog/2017/20171219-tar-and-curl-come-to-windows>)
But it's huge and add lots of dependencies and thereby complications; often these libs have special platform optimizations (so one needs to run configure scripts) ... in luametatex i try to stay away from that .. but loading as external lib is of course an option; we already support zip, gz, tar, lz4, lzma (xz), lzo, xstd but i doubt if in practice they are used often (zip we need for pdf, gz for some graphics, xz because it's used in texlive but most of it is also kind of fun to play with: as less code as possible and then lua support code).