Alan Braslau schrieb am 30.06.2021 um 20:40:
On 30/06/21 12:25, Hans Hagen wrote:
On 6/30/2021 7:35 PM, Alan Braslau wrote:
On 29/06/21 05:52, Hans Hagen wrote:
well, you ask for nothyphenated; we could define

\permanent\protected\def\-%
   {\begingroup
\hyphenationmode\explicithyphenationmodecode\explicitdiscretionary
    \endgroup}

i will ponder this

I believe that \- defines an *optional* hyphenation point.
Specifying nothyphenated should not hyphenate, even at optional points.
The author can otherwise use hyphenated and arrange to help the words get hyphenated at certain points.

Perhaps a new "optional" hyphenation point macro can be added that would have super-powers to override the align parameter. There would be no surprises using such a feature.
We can't use \= unless we drop the \= being macros (anyone using that?)

We can also use \+ which currently is just "+" because it needs some value (sometimes it gets a local meaning).

So here is something to ponder:

\pushoverloadmode \unprotect

     \permanent\protected\def\superexplicitdiscretionary
       {\begingroup
\hyphenationmode\explicithyphenationmodecode\explicitdiscretionary
        \endgroup}

\aliased\let\lang_explicit_discretionary_nop\explicitdiscretionary

     \permanent\protected\def\lang_explicit_discretionary_yes-%
       {\superexplicitdiscretionary}

     \permanent\protected\def\-%

{\doifelsenextcharcs-\lang_explicit_discretionary_yes\lang_explicit_discretionary_nop}

     \protect \popoverloadmode

     \nohyphens \hsize 1mm

     test\-test \par test\--test

\stoptext

\= macron accent (bar) should not be changed.

\-- is a good suggestion, like insisting, and should not get confused with -- (en dash).

Is there some problem to make it just another option.

\enabledirectives[hyphenators.discretionary=hyphenated|nothyphenated]

Wolfgang