On 7/8/2021 3:38 PM, Marco Patzer wrote:
On Thu, 8 Jul 2021 10:34:32 +0200
Hans Hagen <j.ha...@xs4all.nl> wrote:

Now, to the issue of names like 10.11.12.13 ... here .13 is the
suffix, like it or not, so in principle we then get

10.11.12.log
10.11.12.tuc
10.11.12.pdf

It's not that I use files without (.tex, .mkiv, ...) suffixes, but
your 10.11.12.13 example is processed by MkIV without problems:

10.11.12.pdf
10.11.12.tua
10.11.12.log

actually that's also not ok as it should be a .tuc file

LMTX, however doesn't like it:

10.11.pdf
10.11.tua
10.log

if not then indeed there is some issue.

According to my tests LMTX doesn't work like you describe it should.
i'll check it

(in retrospect tex could better have enforced a suffix and not fallback on .tex but i suppose the usage scenarios were hard to foresee let alone the restart-the-program-time-penalty when you forgot to add .tex)