Hi,

There was a question on the list before on prepending to the numberpart of
a caption with the 'numberstarter' command, which works just fine (
https://mailman.ntg.nl/pipermail/ntg-context/2017/089142.html).

I wanted to try the same but for prepending to the entire prefix (not just
the number part) when prefixsegments are used, however using
'prefixstarter' does not seem to make a difference.

For the sake of the example I have added the numberstarter in as well, just
for comparison.

Caption with the example reads "Figure 1.S.1" whereas I was expecting
"Figure C.1.S.1".

MWE:

\setupfloatcaption[figure][number=yes,way=bytext,prefix=yes,prefixstarter={C.},numberstarter={S.}]
\starttext
\startchapter[title={Cow}]
\startplacefigure[title={Custom caption}]
\externalfigure[cow]
\stopplacefigure
\stopchapter
\stoptext

Not sure whether prefixstarter is the intended command to use, but the wiki
of setupcation (https://wiki.contextgarden.net/Command/setupcaption) says
it inherits from setupcounter which has both numberstarter and
prefixstarter defined in the same way.

Adam