Found it from an old email of Wolfgang's in the archive - not sure why I didn't
see it before.

Solution is to use:

\definefontfeature[latin-smallcaps][smallcaps][script=latn]
\definefontsynonym [Squar] [name:SquarishSansCT-Regular]
[features=latin-smallcaps]

instead of the first two lines in my example below.

> On 20 Sep 2021, at 10:53, Bruce Horrocks <n...@scorecrow.com> wrote:
>
> I'm trying to use smallcaps with a font called SquarishSansCT.
>
> According to mtxrun it has smcp as a feature...
>
> $ mtxrun --script font --list --info --pattern=squar
> [...]
> mtx-fonts       | gsub features:
> mtx-fonts       |
> mtx-fonts       |   feature  script   languages
> mtx-fonts       |
> mtx-fonts       |   c2sc     grek     dflt
> mtx-fonts       |            latn     dflt
> mtx-fonts       |   smcp     grek     dflt
> mtx-fonts       |            latn     dflt
> mtx-fonts       |
>
> ...but I can't seem to get that feature to work in this MWE which works for
> TexGyreSchola.
>
> \definefontfeature [smallcaps] [always] [smcp=yes]
> \definefontsynonym [Squar] [name:SquarishSansCT-Regular] [features=smallcaps]
> \definefontsynonym [Schola] [name:texgyreschola-regular] [features=smallcaps]
>
> \definefont [chapterTitle] [Squar at 18pt]
> \definefont [anotherTitle] [Schola at 18pt]
>
> \starttext
> {\chapterTitle A Chapter Title}
> \par
> {\anotherTitle A Chapter Title}
> \stoptext
>
> Have I missed something or is it the font?
> —
> Bruce Horrocks
> Hampshire, UK

—