September 13, 2010
Dear TDSB Community,
Call to Action for Disaster Relief in Pakistan
The immense impact of the death and destruction caused by the flooding in
Pakistan is not confined to the South Asian nation. Family, friends and
relatives of many in our city - and in our schools - have been lost or are
struggling to survive, so we are all affected in some way by this catastrophe.
To those who have lost loved ones, the Toronto District School Board (TDSB)
extends its deepest condolences. For those who are still anxiously awaiting
word of their safety, we extend hope and support. Our psychology and social
work staff are working with principals to identify those students and staff who
may need their assistance.
We are all one race - that is the human race. That's why we are asking you, our
TDSB community, to pull together to support the aid and recovery effort in any
way you can. No donation is too small or insignificant. An estimated 17 million
people in Pakistan have been directly affected and more than 1,600 have died.
Across the country, the floods have ruined nearly nine million acres of
farmland, leaving many farmers unable to plant urgently needed seeds for next
year's crops. Please turn your sympathy and compassion for the people of
Pakistan into action by ensuring those devastated by the floods receive the
most basic of human needs: water, food, medical care and shelter.
The Toronto District School Board is supporting UNICEF and the Canadian Red
Cross in their relief efforts. To contribute to these agencies online, connect
to them directly by using the following links: www.redcross.ca/tdsb and
www.unicef.ca/tdsb. In addition, a collection process will be set up in each of
our schools for donations in cash or cheque. Tax receipts are available for
donations as small as $5. The need is great and so we ask students and staff,
parents and area residents to do what they can.
We ask that you take some time in the coming days and weeks to help people we
may never meet, people who need our help more than we could ever imagine. Thank
you.
Bruce Davis Chris Spence
Chair Director of Education