A Message from the NTCI Parents Mailing List:

Dear Parents and Guardians,

Welcome to the 2016-17 school year. I hope you and your families had a
wonderful summer.

For those of you who have not met me yet, let me introduce myself. I am your
local Ward 11 school trustee. It's my task to be your link with the Toronto
District School Board, which governs the public schools of this city. As your
elected representative, I make decisions with the rest of the elected trustees
on the Board and act as your advocate and 'sounding board,' should the need
arise. I believe we all have a role to play to help our public schools thrive.

I also bring important Board news to you, through a web page you might enjoy
checking out, especially now, as your children return to school. It has key
information and helpful resources for navigating some of education's trickier
waters - like homework! You'll find it at www.tdsb.on.ca/needtoknow. For your
convenience, please find the school year calendar on the back of this letter.

If you would like to stay regularly informed on what is happening at the Board,
including meeting agendas, policies under review, program updates, and
discussions around new initiatives to improve student success and well-being,
you can read my weekly e-update. To receive it, visit www.tdsb.on.ca/laskin and
sign up. I also post items of interest to my webpage on a regular basis.

Research has shown that parents' involvement is the single most powerful factor
in their children's education, from boosting their achievement to deepening
their enjoyment and broadening their opportunities. There are many ways for you
to be involved, including volunteering at your child's school. Whether you'd
like to help coach sports or organize school plays, supervise field trips or
fundraise, volunteering is a great way to make a difference. Please visit
www.tdsb.on.ca/community/ howtogetinvolved for more information and speak with
your school's principal. Are you interested in taking part in your local school
council? It's a great way to have your voice heard and participate in important
decision making. It's also a great opportunity to learn more about your school
and help make it an even better place. To find out about the role of school
councils, visit www.tdsb.on.ca/schoolcouncil. For information about the Parent
Involvement Advisory Committee (PIAC), a TDSB-wide group, vis
 it www.torontopiac.com.

I am always looking to learn more about your local school successes, issues and
priorities. If you have something to share or wish to speak with me directly,
please do not hesitate to e-mail me at shelley.las...@tdsb.on.ca or call and
leave a message at 416 395-TRUS (8787).

We may be the largest school board in the country, but it's the relationships
that make our schools feel like family. By getting involved, you're supporting
public education, and I look forward to working in partnership with you and
your child's school this year.

Shelley Laskin
Trustee, Ward 11