From: jnat...@hotmail.com
To: ntsysadm@lists.myitforum.com
Subject: [NTSysADM] NAS or Server
Date: Wed, 19 Jun 2013 20:43:30 -0400

Company background,

30 yrs old, started with 2 guys, went to to computers in the late 90's had
about 20 users, 1 W2k server and a 120 gb SNAP-

Fast forward , 2008,  30 users, sql 2005 DB  (consultant at the time ) installs
a new 1U 2003 80gb raid server  for sql DB , and another 1U server with a
mirrored 750gb drive , serving as  DC/File/Print/DNS Server.

Fast Forward 2013 - single site , single domain

1. ESXi hosting a VM 2008 Citrix TS, and a VM 2003 DC (no storage really
available)
1. Windows 2012 Hyper-V host,  SAS mirror for host OS, raid 10 2TB for guest
OS', currently one guest, 2012 with  Exchange 2013.

Now there are 60 users, (still using original 2003 for File Print and DNS) and
storage demands, as we all know are increasing exponentially, so I get the  "we
need more storage " so this begs the question, new server 2u (R710 maybe) , or
a NAS 8 or 12 bays maybe-

As an aside, majority of the users use basic office files,  but there are about
a dozen that deal with CAD Audio and Video
I want this solution to be good for 3-5 years

Jean-Paul Natola