This seems relevant...note that it's from 2011:
http://www.infoworld.com/t/cloud-computing/sloppy-use-of-amazon-cloud-can-expose-users-hacking-178575

Specifically: "These vulnerabilities leave users exposed to malware, as
well as to unsolicited connections, which malicious hackers could use to
gather information about an AMI's usage and to collect IP target addresses
for future attacks through a built-in backdoor.

Researchers also observed a vulnerability involving leftover credentials;
that is, a user's password or part of his or her SSH keys, necessary for
accessing a remote Linux server, might end up left on an AMI. A malicious
hacker might leave his or her public key intact on an AMI so that he or
she can log in to any running instance of the image down the road."

Nah, that'll never happen...