For those interested here's a recap of the results.

Started at the colo. Remembered to bring a jacket with. Tried to do another
restore from backup and system blue screened with 21a, fatal error. Tried a
couple of fixes with negative results. Interesting thing here concerning
Dell AppAssure backup/restore for disaster recovery. Dell makes mention one
of the features of the product is you can restore to a VM. What I was told
by the local guy is that this VM must be created before you do the
backup/restore. This VM was never created. Seems whomever helped him set it
up original left this part out. Lesson learned. I misunderstood earlier when
I said he had an ISO for backup. He said the backup could be mounted like an
ISO file.

Went to the fresh install option. While installing SBS 2011 made sure all
the clients important local files were backed up (Outlook, favorites,
documents, etc.). Found out they had Folder Redirection turned on but it
wasn't working properly for everyone. During the client backups discovered 5
machines where there was no local .ost file to export. Will address later.

After SBS was installed went through the To-do list and created all the
users, groups, shares and started the updates downloading. Did a quick test
of the IT guys computer with a disjoin/rejoin, restore and everything was
fine. Quit for the day.

Sunday started at one of the sites and did the disjoin/rejoin, restore on
all the computers there. Surprising had no issues with any of the computers.
This part went smooth. Went to the second site and pretty much the same
results. There were a couple computers where the local admin password didn't
work. Changed it and all finished well.

Went back to the office to start the data restore. This is where it got
interesting. From the office we RDP into the backup server and the SBS
server. Both servers located at the colo connected to a Cisco gig switch and
started copying files. We noticed that the copying files window showed files
being copied and then seem to hang on a file. Let it go for about a half
hour with no change to the window. Checked destination folder size didn't
change. Checked both servers performance and both showed no activity other
than just idling. Cancelled the copy and then waited again for a while.
Finally did an End Task. Rebooted the servers just in case and then checked
the destination folder again. Figured during the backup maybe some corrupt
files or something were causing issues.

Started copying again but a small folder and this went through fine. Did
another folder and it hung at a different location. Checked from a couple of
clients and could get to some folders but not others. Checked the folder
permissions at the destination folder and they looked correct. Propagated
the permissions down the folder to include everything and tried again. Same
result. Decided to walk up the tree and check permissions. Found the
permissions were messed up. Some folders had no owner, missing groups, some
inherited, some not. How they got that way is a question that will never be
answered. After correcting that started the copying again and let in run
overnight. After that we called it a day.

Monday went back to finish up. Finished copying data to the SBS server and
client locations. Gave the tech a crash course on using Group Policy on
automating some of his tasks. Created drive mappings and discussed printers.
Tested and verified everything again and called it finished. In the end he
was happy because he was able to correct some things he didn't like with the
old setup, clean up folders and accounts and lower his backup size.

He is going to look at getting the VM created so that the disaster recovery
part is tested. For some strange reason he doesn't want to do this again.

Art DeKneef

Avanti Computers

Mesa, AZ

480-649-4430 Office