From: listsad...@lists.myitforum.com [mailto:listsad...@lists.myitforum.com] On
Behalf Of Kurt Buff
Sent: Friday, September 16, 2016 8:04 AM
To: ntsysadm <ntsysadm@lists.myitforum.com>
Subject: Re: [NTSysADM] raid 5? in 2016

8 x 500gb = 4tb, raw.
RAID5 = 3.5 raw
RAID6 or RAID5 + hot spare = 3tb raw

Space dwindles quickly when reserving disks for failover/availability.

How many VMs? What apps running on them?

It's certainly going to be a screaming machine, regardless - depending on type
and how many procs are in it, though I'd consider upping the RAM to 128.

Does it have a 10gb NIC? If the infrastructure supports it, I'd strongly
consider that.

Kurt