Also looks like you might need a pre-requisite patch before you can get it
maybe…

http://www.infoworld.com/article/2607849/microsoft-windows/ie11-patches-blocked-until-windows-7-users-install-kb-2929437.html

From: listsad...@lists.myitforum.com [mailto:listsad...@lists.myitforum.com] On
Behalf Of Graeme Carstairs
Sent: 22 September 2016 09:32
To: ntsysadm@lists.myitforum.com
Subject: [NTSysADM] Cannot install IE 11 on Server 2008 R2

Hi all,

I have inherited a network which has 3 Server 2008 R2 terminal servers in a
server farm.

The end users ar complaining about various issues with internet access, cannot
access banking sites, very slow loading and incorrect rendering of some sites.

Upon checking the servers I discovered they were still running IE9, i mentioned
this to the client contact and he says that the previous support people had
told him that you couldnt run anything newer than IE9 on Server 2008 R2

Now we know this to be not true, so I go to try and upgrade the servers to IE11

Through Windows update it shows that everything is up to date, and no further
updates avialable, there are no hidden updates either.

So I locate the IE 11 offline installer page, downlaod the file, and when I try
to run it on each of the servers in the farm I get a IE11-xxxxxxxxxx.exe is not
a valid win32 application.

I copy the file to another server on the network (server2012) and the file runs
and then say that "this operating system already has a newer version of
internet explorer installed, and stops.

I have trawled through the GPO's that are being applied to the TS's and there
is nothing I can see that would stop IE being installed.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what to do?

Thanks
Graeme

--
Good news everyone, you have just received an e-mail from me!