So, it turns out that after two additional reboots, my start menu's pin
menu obliterated itself.  All my shortcuts: POOF!  And, start menu search
typing also didnt work properly during that period (e.g. "cmd" wouldnt find
cmd.exe, etc).

Things appear to have returned to normal after the second reboot.
Right-click works as expected again.  I've never seen or heard of this
issue before.  But, this account was migrated from another system - so I'm
guessing that it was something related to that, that caused the problem.

Thanks for your eyes and ears.

--
Espi