This happens almost every time. Someone who doesn't know what they're doing
has the right to change permissions and they don't include Administrators.
Usually the next issue I find is that when I try to take ownership and
reset perms, there are stragglers, sometimes lots of them. It's good that
you have the log from the run using /create so you have that as a list of
failures. Put the onus on the data owners to decide who should have access
or if the data is even needed. Usually that's the next issue...finding
someone who will take that responsibility.