Sounds like a netbios name resolution issue. At a command prompt when you type
net view \\pcname\print-sharename what happens. You mention a HOSTS file and
the German PC IP being in there. Do you use WINS and if yes is the PC
registered there and are both clients at each end properly setup as WINS
clients?

You could also try a LMHOSTS files, which acts as a WINS type resolution
process. The basic syntax would be:

ip address of german pc  netbios name of german pc      #PRE      #DOM:domain
name of german domain that pc is member of

For example:
192.168.1.25   germanpc01     #PRE #DOM:domgermany

The entries need to be separated by at least one space (I use a tab) and the
#PRE and #DOM keywords need to be in caps.

See if that works.

Thanks

                    [EMAIL PROTECTED]

                    S.COM                To:     "NT System Admin Issues"

                                         <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

                    08/28/2001           cc:

                    10:05 AM             Subject:     Printing between Trusting
Domains (NT4)
                    Please

                    respond to

                    "NT System

                    Admin Issues"

Greeting One-and-All

Some assistance please.

I have 2 NT4 domains which trust each other (both ways)
(1 in UK,  1 in Germany.. over a WAN)

I want to setup a network printer in the UK which points to a physical
printer in Germany.
(The actual printer is connected to an NT4 workstation via an LPT
connection... not Jet Direct)

I've added security permissions to the printer such that it should allow
print jobs from my domain.

However when I try to create the network printer connection in the UK it
always fails
(with an "invalid printer name" message)
((The German PC is listed in my HOST file.))
However if I connect using the IP address and the share name it will
create the printer.
Although it doesn't seem to work properly.

what am I missing here?
(I thought this would be a trivial task.... wrong again !!!)

ta muchly

Keith
Hughes Network Systems (Europe)
tel:  +44 (0) 1908-221122 x320
fax: +44 (0) 1908-221127

#**********************************************************************
This message is intended solely for the use of the individual
or organisation to whom it is addressed. It may contain
privileged or confidential information.  If you have received
this message in error, please notify the originator immediately.
If you are not the intended recipient, you should not use,
copy, alter, or disclose the contents of this message.  All
information or opinions expressed in this message and/or
any attachments are those of the author and are not
necessarily those of Hughes Network Systems Limited,
including its European subsidiaries and affiliates. Hughes
Network Systems Limited, including its European
subsidiaries and affiliates accepts no responsibility for loss
or damage arising from its use, including damage from virus.