You would need to make it a replication partner. Even if it could pass the
query the holes you would have to open in the firewall make no sense. I guess
I would wonder why a DMZ web server even needs access to WINS period, I would
think you would only need DNS. If you need a netbios query for some reason you
could use lmhosts instead of having WINS out there.

Thanks

                    "Smiles,

                    Matthew"             To:     "NT System Admin Issues"

                    <SMILESM@PANA        <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

                    SONIC.COM>           cc:

                                         Subject:     WINS server querying other WINS
server
                    08/28/2001

                    10:14 AM

                    Please

                    respond to

                    "NT System

                    Admin Issues"

Can a WINS server be configured to query another WINS server when it doesn't
know the answer to a name resolution query?  For example, I need WINS in a
DMZ type environment and I don't want the DMZ web servers to query corporate
WINS directly.  I want the DMZ servers to register with and query a WINS
server within the DMZ and if that DMZ WINS server does not know the answer
to a NETBIOS name query, it is configured (and has the necessary holes in
the firewall) to query corporate WINS.  I think the answer is no and I would
have to make the DMZ WINS server a replication partner of corporate WINS,
but then this would put the corporate WINS database in the DMZ which is not
allowed.  Any thoughts are appreciated.
Thanks,
Matt