There's Res kit utility call netsvc that'll allow you to start/stop services
on a remote machine.

-----Original Message-----
From: Peter van Houten [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: 03 September 2001 18:28
To: NT System Admin Issues
Subject: Stopping services on remote server

I am presently sitting in front of a VNC window, controlling a remote
server (SERVER1) some 1000 miles away.  In the same domain as SERVER1,
there is another server (SERVER2) I need to stop the DNS service on
SERVER2 (SERVER2, unfortunately does not have VNC loaded) These servers
are configured as standalone as opposed to PDC, BDC, etc. I have all the
passwords available to access SERVER2 but cannot for the life of me,
control the services on SERVER2. I have been through all the NET HELP
commands without success.  NT4/SP6a configuration on both.

Any suggestions?

Peter van Houten
Peaceland

The information in this e-mail (which includes any files transmitted with
it) is confidential and may also be legally privileged. It is intended for
the addressee only. Access to this email by anyone else is unauthorised. It
is not to be relied upon by any other person other than the addressee except
with our prior approval. If no such approval is given, we will not accept
liability (in negligence or otherwise) rising from any third party acting,
or refraining from acting, on such information. Unauthorised recipients are
required to maintain confidentiality.
If you have received this e-mail in error please notify us immediately,
destroy any copies and delete it from your computer system. Any use,
dissemination, forwarding, printing or copying of the email is prohibited.
Copyright in this e-mail and any document created by us will be and remain
vested in us and will not be transferred to you. We assert the right to be
identified as the author of and to object to any misuses of the contents of
this email or such documents.
Grant Thornton is authorised by the Institute of Chartered Accountants in
Ireland to carry on investment business. A list of partners may be inspected
at Grant Thornton, Ashford House, Tara Street, Dublin 2, Ireland