If you go to the Wired.com article and click on the word "approved" you
can find out how they voted.  It is a link to the senate voting record
for that particular bill.  It turns out that 97 senators voted in favor
(3 did not vote).

I'd say read the article.  This particular amendment could be enabling
an invasion of privacy we don't want.  Plus amendments worded in haste,
like this one, can easily be ruled unconstitutional and therefore
useless.  I'm not against doing something but I'd prefer that time and
care be taken to consider what exactly should be done.

Heidi