From: Marr, Chris [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Tuesday, September 18, 2001 9:19 AM
To: NT System Admin Issues
Subject: RE: Senate votes to permit warrantless Net-wiretaps, Carnivore us e

It is a very scary thing to be willing to give away any of our civil rights.
Freedom is a very fragile thing and once taken requires a revolution to get
it back.

I agree that we need to do something but history shows that government tends
to get more restrictive not less.

We could justify all sorts of infringments how about police roadblocks every
2 city blocks that requires you to show id and have papers giving you the
right to travel to the local grocery store?  That would sure put a stop to a
whole lot of crime including terrorism.  But are we willing to go to that
extent? Obviously we would not but I ask you why we would not.  After all if
I had nothing to hide then I should have no problem with a little
inconvience if it means no crime.  Of course the criminal would still find a
way to do his/her thing but we will just overlook that fact.

My point is simply that I agree that we need to do something but it is a
very scary thing to be willing to give up freedom for any reason.

Just my $.02 worth (take it or leave it)

Chris