remember guest is admin on infected machines.  anyone can upload tools and
remote control apps to your machine, while guest is active.

Dan

-----Original Message-----
From: Sren Albeck [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Thursday, September 20, 2001 7:34 AM
To: NT System Admin Issues
Subject: RE: How to remove Nimda from NT Server without a reload

I've had one server infected. Other than the description below, I used
NAI's removal-tool with no problems. It can be found at
http://vil.nai.com/vil/virusSummary.asp?virus_k=99209 (may be wrapped)
under the heading "Stand-alone removal tool".
The server was booted in between each step, the whole operation took a
little over 1 hour and it is so far behaving nicely.

Søren A

> I'm in the middle of an all-nighter killing this thing, I'll tell you
> what is working for me (you need to be at the console):
> Delete Admin.dll and all TFTP* files from %driveletter%\Inetpub\scripts
> Stop and disable the server service
> Reboot
> Apply IIS cumulative patch
> Reboot
> Apply hotfixes for either IE 5.01 SP1 or IE5.5 SP1 (mime header vulns)
> Reboot
> I am running NetShield, so I apply DAT 4161 and then scan and clean.
>
> Kludgy, I know, we are working on scripting this.  That is what we have
> so far.  I'll update unless someone else does before then.  Back to
> work....

waive any related rights and obligations. Any distribution, use or copying
of this e-mail or the information it contains by other than an intended
recipient is unauthorized. If you received this e-mail in error, please
advise me (by return e-mail or otherwise) immediately.