I will let others answer as to what might have gone wrong, but  always recommend
downloading the fixes and the running them rather than running them from the site.
All it takes is a net hiccup and a lockup and all of the sudden, no IIS.  You run a
much smaller chance of this with the download and then execute path.

JayW

>>> [EMAIL PROTECTED] 09/24/01 07:54PM >>>
Win 98 SAFE MODEWe have an old IIS4 box that we still have ppl hosted on,
because that is what they perfer.   We went to
http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com and it said we were missing a critical
update.  We went ahead and told it to upate the box, but after the update
completed, I noticed a DOS window that would not close.   It stayed up for
at least 20 minutes.  I finally closed the dialog and the machine wanted to
reboot.  I told it yes, but then the machine went blank (green screen), but
didn't reboot.   I then had to hard boot it..  Now it seems IIS4 is not
responding to the point I can't even go into MMC.   Websites are down and we
can't seem to get it up and running again.   Everything except the webserver
is working.   Any clues to what was hung up and how we can fix this problem?
If we reinstall IIS4, we would have to reinstall the SP's and the security
patches..  Will this happen again, or was that just a fluke?

Want to unsub? Do that here:
http://lyris.sunbelt-software.com/scripts/lyris.pl?enter=ntsysadmin&text_mode=0&lang=english