Greetings!

We are trying to work out an alternative path for mail intended for our
email-to-fax system.  Mail is addressed to a fax number at the fax server.  The
server receives it through an Outlook Express client, renders it, and dials the
fax number in the address.

The snag is, the mail must come in from outside our network.  This works fine
when it comes directly to the IL location.  However, we have had a couple of
long outages where Illinois has no internet connection.  (Our office can still
reach the internet if we route internet traffic through our WAN and use the New
York internet connection.)

We have an MX record for the NYC location with a priority lower that of the IL
location (tests out ok - we can see SMTP traffic entering the NYC internet
firewall when we watch traffic for that firewall policy).

Internet firewalls at IL and NYC are both the same model of Juniper SSG-series.
 Both have the same policies for allowing mail to the fax server.  WAN routers
are all AdTran NetVanta 5305 (just in case this is a factor).

HERE IS THE PROBLEM - when the mail is routed through NYC, it never makes it to
the server in IL.  We run trace route jobs from various systems from the NYC
location (including console sessions from the firewall), and the route steps
shown are as they should be.  The NYC firewall can ping the server in IL.

We "undo" testing procedures to use the IL internet connection, and all the
test mails come in to the server.  Any idea what could be blocking mail traffic
coming in through NYC?

Thanks...
--
Richard D. McClary
Jr Infrastructure Architect, Information Technology Group

The information contained in this e-mail, and any attachments hereto, is from
The American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals® (ASPCA®) and
is intended only for use by the addressee(s) named herein and may contain
legally privileged and/or confidential information. If you are not the intended
recipient of this e-mail, you are hereby notified that any dissemination,
distribution, copying or use of the contents of this e-mail, and any
attachments hereto, is strictly prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in
error, please immediately notify me by reply email and permanently delete the
original and any copy of this e-mail and any printout thereof.