Add to Kurt's suggestions - see if there is a BIOS setting for sleep or other
power saving settings.

-----Original Message-----
From: Kurt Buff [mailto:kurt.b...@gmail.com]
Sent: Friday, December 07, 2012 11:25 AM
To: NT System Admin Issues
Subject: Re: Development System Crashed Every Few Days

On Fri, Dec 7, 2012 at 8:01 AM, John Bonner <nfs_j...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> As a software engineer I don't see many system issues so this one is
> quite unusual to me. Every few days my system crashes and it "seems"
> to occur overnight while the machine has gone to sleep. I say this
> because the next time I use the machine it says "Resuming Windows" but
> then after login nothing is open as I left it. Opening Chrome or IE
> and I get the browse session closed unexpectedly restore windows? My
> VM's are shut down and upon restart the VM's prompt me for restore or boot
> normal options.
>
> Machine basics:
> Dell M6600
> 16GB Ram
> Win 7 Enterprise X64 SP1
> VMWare 9
> VS 2012
>

> I ran the Dell bios diagnostics including the full memory address
> check and nothing turned up. Looking in the event log I always see a
> chain of errors and then the crash happens. I have as of yet NOT torn
> into the memory.dump but that will be the next step if nothing jumps out from
> the event log.
>
> The vast majority of my errors are coming from the Service Control
> Manager but almost random it seems. IKEEXT, ShellHWDetection,
> IPBusEnu, etc. There is never a consistent event that starts the
> downhill slide. The only thing consistent is something happens then
> error after error till around 10 or so pile up within seconds and the
> crash. Any advice or direction to start getting this figured out would be
> greatly appreciated.
>
> TIA
> JB

o- If you configure your power settings so that the machine doesn't sleep, does
still happen?

o- Is this a new machine that you've just configured, or is it an older machine
- I can't tell from the model number if that's a new Dell or not. If it's old,
have you updated any drivers recently or added new software?

o- Added new hardware recently?

Kurt

The information contained in this e-mail, and any attachments hereto, is from
The American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals® (ASPCA®) and is
intended only for use by the addressee(s) named herein and may contain legally
privileged and/or confidential information. If you are not the intended
recipient of this e-mail, you are hereby notified that any dissemination,
distribution, copying or use of the contents of this e-mail, and any
attachments hereto, is strictly prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in
error, please immediately notify me by reply email and permanently delete the
original and any copy of this e-mail and any printout thereof.