From: Ziots, Edward [mailto:ezi...@lifespan.org]
Sent: Monday, April 22, 2013 2:08 PM
To: NT System Admin Issues
Subject: Cross post on latest round of Java Bugs from Bugtraq

Hello All,

Today, a vulnerability report with an accompanying Proof of Concept code was
sent to Oracle notifying the company of a new security weakness affecting Java
SE 7 software.

The new flaw was verified to affect all versions of Java SE
7 (including the recently released 1.7.0_21-b11). It can be used to achieve a
complete Java security sandbox bypass on a target system. Successful
exploitation in a web browser scenario requires proper user interaction (a user
needs to accept the risk of executing a potentially malicious Java application
when a security warning window is displayed).

What's interesting is that the new issue is present not only in JRE Plugin /
JDK software, but also the recently announced Server JRE as well [1]. Those
concerned about a feasibility of exploitation of Java flaws in a server
environment should consult Guideline 3-8 of "Secure Coding Guidelines for a
Java Programming Language" [2]. It lists the following software components and
APIs as potentially prone to the execution of untrusted Java code:
- Sun implementation of the XSLT interpreter,
- Long Term Persistence of JavaBeans Components,
- RMI and LDAP (RFC 2713),
- Many SQL implementations.

In Apr 2012 [3], we reported our first vulnerability report to Oracle
corporation signaling multiple security problems in Java SE 7 and the
Reflection API in particular. It's been a year since then and to our true
surprise, we were still able to discover one of the simplest and most powerful
instances of Java Reflection API based vulnerabilities. It looks Oracle was
primarily focused on hunting down potentially dangerous Reflection API calls in
the "allowed" classes space. If so, no surprise that Issue 61 was overlooked.

Thank you.

Best Regards
Adam Gowdiak

Looks like more Java patching to come.. and the flaws continue...

Edward E. Ziots, CISSP, CISA, Security +, Network +
Security Engineer
Lifespan Organization
ezi...@lifespan.org<mailto:ezi...@lifespan.org>
Work:401-444-9081

This electronic message and any attachments may be privileged and confidential
and protected from disclosure. If you are reading this message, but are not the
intended recipient, nor an employee or agent responsible for delivering this
message to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that you are
strictly prohibited from copying, printing, forwarding or otherwise
disseminating this communication. If you have received this communication in
error, please immediately notify the sender by replying to the message. Then,
delete the message from your computer. Thank you.
[cid:image001.jpg@01CE3F64.8449ED80]

or send an email to

The information contained in this e-mail, and any attachments hereto, is from
The American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals® (ASPCA®) and
is intended only for use by the addressee(s) named herein and may contain
legally privileged and/or confidential information. If you are not the intended
recipient of this e-mail, you are hereby notified that any dissemination,
distribution, copying or use of the contents of this e-mail, and any
attachments hereto, is strictly prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in
error, please immediately notify me by reply email and permanently delete the
original and any copy of this e-mail and any printout thereof.

<<inline: image001.jpg>>