This will work

Dim fso
Set fso = Wscript.CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject")

Dim shl
Set shl = WScript.CreateObject("WScript.Shell")

If fso.FileExists("c:\path\foo\bar.txt") Then
                Dim theFile
                Set theFile = fso.GetFile("c:\path\foo\bar.txt")

                Dim outFile
                Set outFile = 
fso.CreateTextFile(shl.ExpandEnvironmentStrings("\\someserver\logshare\%username%.txt"),
 true)

                outFile.WriteLine Now & "," & theFile.Name & "," & theFile.Size
                outFile.Close
End If

Toss a second script on the share to catalog all the data. I used a separate 
file for each user to alleviate locking issues. If you want to do historical 
trending change the true to a false and it will append.

I would add an On Error Resume Next also or log an event on error.

Thanks,
Brian Desmond
[email protected]

c - 312.731.3132

From: David [mailto:[email protected]]
Sent: Thursday, March 26, 2009 4:54 PM
To: NT System Admin Issues
Subject: Pulling data with logon script?

We're using a fairly simple VB logon script -- I'm wondering if I can call a 
routine in that script to find out how many users have a file with a certain 
extension in a specific location on their machines -- I'd be looking to write 
or add to a network text file when a user logs on, to get the name of the file, 
the date, and size.  If anyone has used or seen a similar routine I'd 
appreciate hearing about it.  Haven't done a great deal of my own scripting.  
Thanks.


David

_____________________

The problem with socialism is that you
eventually run out of other people's money.

~ Margaret Thatcher





~ Finally, powerful endpoint security that ISN'T a resource hog! ~
~ <http://www.sunbeltsoftware.com/Business/VIPRE-Enterprise/>  ~

Reply via email to