We  used DeepFreeze for all of our classroom and lab machines at my last
job, also in a domain, and also worked quite well.

On Wed, Apr 1, 2009 at 1:36 PM, Glen Johnson <[email protected]> wrote:

>  Humm.
>
> We have over 300 machines froze in our domain and they seem to work pretty
> good.
>
> What problems are you referring to?  Maybe the guy that manages them here
> can offer a solution.
>
>
>
> *From:* John Aldrich [mailto:[email protected]]
> *Sent:* Wednesday, April 01, 2009 1:34 PM
>
> *To:* NT System Admin Issues
> *Subject:* RE: Internet cafe setup
>
>
>
> There’s also an app called “Deep Freeze” from Faronics. It’s pretty good,
> but doesn’t work well in a domain situation. What it does is creates a
> virtual disk that gets reset each time, unless the desktop is unlocked.
>
>
>
> [image: John-Aldrich][image: Tile-Tools]
>
>
>
> *From:* Fogarty, Richard R CTR USA USASOC [mailto:[email protected]]
>
> *Sent:* Wednesday, April 01, 2009 1:19 PM
> *To:* NT System Admin Issues
> *Subject:* RE: Internet cafe setup
>
>
>
> There is an administrative mode where one can apply the necessary patches
> and virus defs…
>
>
>
> *From:* Bill Songstad (WCUL) [mailto:[email protected]]
> *Sent:* Monday, March 30, 2009 6:09 PM
> *To:* NT System Admin Issues
> *Subject:* RE: Internet cafe setup
>
>
>
> Will SteadyState restore to the original disk image?  Where I’m going is if
> a user gets all infected and pwnd during their session, will it get
> completely restored?  Then if so, how does it handle software patches?
>
>
>
> *Bill *
>
>
>
>
>
> *From:* Gavin Wilby [mailto:[email protected]]
> *Sent:* Sunday, March 29, 2009 3:24 AM
> *To:* NT System Admin Issues
> *Subject:* Re: Internet cafe setup
>
>
>
> Seconded for Steady State, I use it a lot for this.
>
>
>
> Machine reboots at log off and resets itself - usually I just allow IE and
> msn messenger and a 30 minutes timeout.
>
> On Fri, Mar 27, 2009 at 2:27 AM, Ben Nordlander <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>
> You might take a look at microsoft steadystae too if u do go windows.
>
> -BenN
>
> On Mar 26, 2009 9:53 AM, "Ben Scott" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> On Thu, Mar 26, 2009 at 11:07 AM, James Rankin <[email protected]>
> wrote: > My initial idea, in ...
>
>  I'd only use a VM if I wanted the users to be have relatively free
> reign on the machine during their session -- that way I could roll it
> back after.  If you just want a web browser, I think it's prolly
> easier to just configure a restricted user.  That way they can't even
> muck around with stuff *during* their session.
>
>  I'd use something like LTSP (Linux Terminal Server Project) or
> ThinStation.  I'd set-up one server to push DHCP, boot files, and (if
> needed) network file systems out to the clients.
>
>  I'd use a user account on the client's that's got a mostly read-only
> user home directory.  (Unlike Windows, Unix will generally work even
> if the user's home directory isn't owned or writable by them.)
>
>  I think the only things that the user would *need* to be able to
> write to would be /tmp/ and the browser cache directory (typically
> something like $HOME/.mozilla/firefox/default/cache/).  I'd suggest
> having them use USB flash drives if they want to be able to write or
> save files.
>
>  If you have to provide a writable directory, just grant write to
> $HOME/Desktop or something like that.  And warn them their work won't
> be saved between sessions.
>
>  I'd configure conservative browser settings, and then lock them
> against changes.  With Firefox, this is done by changing the
> user_pref() or pref() directive to lock_pref().  Possibly use a kiosk
> mode configuration.
>
>  I'd mount the home and /tmp partitions with the "noexec" option, so
> if the user did manage to download a program, the system would refuse
> to execute it.  It should be possible to tell the auto-mounter to add
> "noexec" to any USB drives as well.
>
> -- Ben
>
> ~ Finally, powerful endpoint security that ISN'T a resource hog! ~ ~ <
> http://www.sunbeltsoftware.co...
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
> --
> Gavin Wilby,
> Twitter: http://twitter.com/gavin_wilby
> GSXR Blog: http://www.stoof.co.uk
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
> No virus found in this incoming message.
> Checked by AVG - www.avg.com
> Version: 8.5.285 / Virus Database: 270.11.35/2034 - Release Date: 04/01/09
> 06:06:00
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>

~ Finally, powerful endpoint security that ISN'T a resource hog! ~
~ <http://www.sunbeltsoftware.com/Business/VIPRE-Enterprise/>  ~

<<image001.jpg>>

<<image002.jpg>>

Reply via email to