From: Christopher Bodnar [mailto:christopher_bod...@glic.com]
Sent: Thursday, September 03, 2009 10:27 AM
To: NT System Admin Issues
Subject: Access to Event Logs for Auditors

Got an internal group of auditors that needs access to servers for
investigations, but only read access. This is one of the items they need. If I
make them a member of the Remote Desktop Users group, and they log on to the
server through RDP, they can view all of the event logs except Security. If
they try to view the event logs remotely (Event Viewer->Connect to another
computer) they can only see the IE log, everything else is Access Denied. Does
anyone know why there is a difference? I am aware of how to modify access by
tweaking the SDDL string:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/323076

But I don't think that is the issue here. Anyone run into this before?

By the way if anyone is interested, this is a great primer on SDDL. I was
totally unaware of this until 2 days ago.

http://blogs.dirteam.com/blogs/jorge/archive/2008/03/26/parsing-sddl-strings.aspx

Thanks

Chris Bodnar, MCSE
Sr. Systems Engineer
Distributed Systems Service Delivery - Intel Services
Guardian Life Insurance Company of America
Email: christopher_bod...@glic.com<mailto:christopher_bod...@glic.com>
Phone: 610-807-6459
Fax: 610-807-6003

This message, and any attachments to it, may contain information that is
privileged, confidential, and exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If
the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are notified that
any use, dissemination, distribution, copying, or communication of this message
notify the sender immediately by return e-mail and delete the message and any
attachments. Thank you.