From: Tom Miller [mailto:tmil...@hnncsb.org]
Sent: Wednesday, September 23, 2009 1:16 PM
To: NT System Admin Issues
Subject: Re: GPO question

Thanks, now I know.  If I wanted to be able to edit the GPOs across all DCs I
guess it would be okay to copy to sysvol and allow to replicate and point to
that folder (or the actual replicated GPO folder)?

>>> Ben Scott <mailvor...@gmail.com<mailto:mailvor...@gmail.com>> 9/23/2009
>>> 9:01 AM >>>
On Wed, Sep 23, 2009 at 8:41 AM, Tom Miller
<tmil...@hnncsb.org<mailto:tmil...@hnncsb.org>> wrote:
> I'm adding the MS Office 2008 adm files to my Terminal Server GPO to set
> some Office items.   Regarding the *.adm files, I copied them to the server
> I created the GPO on, but do they need to be copied to every DC so each DC
> can read them?

  No.

  The ADM files simply provide the interface which appears in the
"Administrative Template" section of the GPEDIT GUI.  Once you've got
things set in the GPO, those settings can exist without a user
interface.  You won't be able to view/change them without the ADM
template, of course.

  You technically don't even need the ADM files on the DC.  If you run
GPEDIT on a client, you can load the ADM files into GPEDIT there.

-- Ben

Confidentiality Notice: This e-mail message, including attachments, is for the
sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and
privileged information. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure, or
message.