From: Angus Scott-Fleming [mailto:angu...@geoapps.com]
Sent: Friday, January 15, 2010 1:38 AM
To: NT System Admin Issues
Subject: Re: Windows 7 and DHCP puzzler

On 14 Jan 2010 at 19:19, Eisenberg, Wayne  wrote:

> Has anyone noticed any problems with Windows 7 getting an IP address
> from DHCP? In our pilot testing, we are noticing that a significant
> portion
> (>30%) of our users are not successfully getting an IP address from
> the local DHCP server. It happens with wired and/or wireless, across
> make and model, different antivirus programs. It can happen if the
> DHCP server is on the same subnet and also if it is on a different
> subnet (ip helper address configured in the router). No firewalls
> turned on. Everything was fine for a while, and then some laptop users
> started having problems getting an address from their home router.
> Some folks can get an address at home, but have trouble getting it at
> the office. If you give them a static IP, they can work. That is
> obviously not a viable solution. We need DHCP to work no matter where
> they are - just like it works for XP. :) BTW, none of our XP users
> have any problems at all. This is strictly a Win7 issue. We've tried removing
> some MS patches among other things, but nothing fixes it across the board.
> Any ideas?
>
> Points and ice cream will be awarded to anyone who can come up with an
> answer. :)

What is your DHCP server?  If it's a non-Microsoft router, then you need to
disable the DHCP Broadcast flag in Win7, as per this KB:

    Windows Vista cannot obtain an IP address from certain routers or from
    certain non-Microsoft DHCP servers
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/928233

Low-carb ice-cream, please ;-)

--