From: Palmer, Neal [mailto:npal...@uwic.ac.uk]
Sent: Monday, February 08, 2010 7:53 AM
To: NT System Admin Issues
Subject: RE: Adding 2008 DC's... (revisited)

Hi all,

(Apologies for the long unwieldy sentences!)
(D/FL = Domain/Forest Functional Level)

I just wondered if anyone can confirm that the AD DS updates/Schema changes and
features are all performed during the Adprep before you install/add the first
W2K8 DC to a domain… and not when you move to D/FL W2K8?

It seems I can’t find information that specifies which new features of W2K8 are
added to AD/Schema during the process of joining to the domain as a DC, and
what is added later once you’ve W2K8’d all your DC’s and decide to move to W2K8
D/FL.

If there are 3 stages :-

1. ADPrep the domain for W2K8
2. Install/join a W2K8 DC
3. Up the functional/domain level

I’m a little unsure of what is or isn’t available at each stage.

We have a W2K3 DL and all W2K3 DC’s. I’m just researching before presenting
info/requirements to start moving to W2K8. First stage is to get one W2K8 DC in…

Thanks

Neal