From: Ziots, Edward [mailto:ezi...@lifespan.org]
Sent: Tuesday, October 12, 2010 12:51
To: NT System Admin Issues
Subject: RE: Most manageable and useable corporate smartphone?

Honestly,

With the lack of security controls available for the smart phones.

Remote Wipe ( Not forensically sound) (Can be defeated by just pulling the
battery) Encrypt the device ( you are still storing the keys local to
device) (will take time, but keys can be recovered and there goes the data
again)

And the other issues with the Mobile technology ( Information Disclosure,
Mobile Malware, Spyware) etc etc.

Bussiness are walking a very slippery slope with using these technologies to
conduct business, but it's a risk they are willing to accept to keep their
work-force connected and mobile.

Think about the fun you can have with the a well meaning Trojan application
in which I believe either Chase or BOA was touting that can take a picture
of your checks and deposit them in your account. ( Plant the malware, steal
the routing numbers on the check, and or credentials when they use that
silly mobile phone to access their bank-accounts) and its game over.

And the new IPAD/IPOD craze is going to raise the risk-bar even higher, and
the proverbal game of Russian roulette keeps going on and on. I have been
told and seen new initiatives (basically) bring your own mobile device to
work and put it on the network ( Mostly the Apple products) and the
organization sponsoring this non-sense don't have a clue how to secure, or
support this, but the business initiatives over-ride good common sense and
sooner than laters the company data will be in the wrong hand, and everyone
will be pointing the finger at each other saying "NOT MY FAULT".. To bad we
all subscribed to the insanity, therefore all are partly responsible when
the worst does and will happen.

Food for thought, tread lightly...

Edward E. Ziots
CISSP, Network +, Security +