From: Paul Hutchings [mailto:paul.hutchi...@mira.co.uk]
Sent: Tuesday, October 26, 2010 09:24
To: NT System Admin Issues
Subject: re: VMWare vs Hyper-V

Personally I'd go with vsphere and look at one of the Essentials bundles as
that will give you cluster capability as well as central control from vCenter.

I don't have anything against Hyper-V as I've never actually used it, but my
reservations and reasons for not doing so are two-fold:

1)  Hardware compatibility - with vsphere you have a HCL and if it's on that,
vmware will supply everything, you just download and insert the media when
necessary.  With Hyper-V the hardware may be supported but you may still have
to go download drivers from Broadcom or whoever before you have a working
Hyper-V server.

2)  Support - with vsphere you can pay vmware for support, or you can use their
forums for free.  With Hyper-V unless you have some sort of enterprise
agreement my understanding (and it is just an understanding, I could be dead
wrong) is that you can't purchase support cheaply just on Hyper-V.