I just came upon a very frustrating problem in trying to get some images
rendered. We have a left eye render that is done first and the comp's 'look' is
based on that before rendering the right eye. To simplify the pipe, all the
reads and writes are %v (for L and R).  Usually, this hasn't been an issue - we
specify an "L" render and no problem. But for some reason today, we hit a wall
on a specific shot and nothing would go, because nuke was complaining about
some file.R.###.exr being missing. Well, yeah, they all are, but why now, and
why some reads and not all?

All I could find was that if I go into the write node, hit the Render button,
the default setting comes up as ",R". I changed it to ",L" and bingo, no more
errors. I'm scratching my head, since we've rendered a gazillion frames with
the same pipe setting (the same script also rendered a few hours earlier), but
this one shot decides to not go and interactively at least,  that's the only
fix. Can't do that on the farm, where it's still broken.

I saved the nuke script before modifying the write node, then after and
compared - the only difference in the scripts was the filename. The
'multi_view' knob doesn't save with the script. Re-opening the modified file
has the value set back to ",R".

Where/how is that particular parameter set, and how could I override it as a
default to "L"? If I do that, will I screw up any splits that people have
created? I noticed the split syntax for some reason is something like {(default
{0} L {0})} so I'm afraid if I make L the default this way, everything will
bust. Ahem - feature/bug request - don't use "default" as a view name in the
splits - use the view names!!!

Anyone else see this before? Maybe it's a red herring and there's another
reason nuke would be looking for R eye when it's not supposed to?

thanks!
JRAB