I've never really had problems with rotos - only paint. Never noticed any
issues with layers either.

Flame is raster paint isn't it?

I have seen other peoples scripts slow down so maybe its down to the
pre-rendering I do, and I never apply any retiming after unless its a frame
hold or something similar. That is I avoid anything that requires blending
paint strokes together from different frames.

This sort of paint node has always been slow for me compared to raster paint
solutions, but I find the advantages far out weigh the clunkiness.

All that said anything to speed up paint will be welcome.

Howard