I'm doing something similar that might be of some help; we have a 980
megapixel GigPan stitched image as a Material for some shots of mountain
climbers on a huge mountain face. I crop the full res for the parts that
the camera needs to go close to, i.e. climbers, and use a reformated/scaled
down version for the periphery wide view. When you UVProject these onto the
geometry the high-res lines up seamlessly with the lower-res.  A soft edge
on the crop will help.