Although that’s not a bad idea it’s also not correct, when you add a new sample
between red and black to accommodate for B’s blue you’re making the assumption
that there’s actually “data” in that space and more so that the red and black
samples are describing some sort of start and end of a volume which they
aren’t.  (if they were they might be a single volume sample)

It’s more correct to insert just the blue sample and make sure the alpha
channel is the value of B’s alpha.

Creating a new interpolated sample between two discrete samples could be
considered an “undefined” operation (you may want to do this, but likely be
surprised when the result isn’t what you’d expect).

This is where some heuristics will need to take over to give you what you want
vs. what you think you want.  :)

Cheers