Pat, to answer your question the workflow with the existing nuke tools
either:
1. breaking the latlong images into six packs with the sphericalTransform
node. Fix in cubic, then reconvert back to latlong.
2.mapping the latlong onto a sphere and then projecting images onto the
sphere to patch and fix images.

Frank Reuter did some videos 4 years ago showing some of these workflows on
making HDR's which is exactly the same as working with VR.  Also he has
some nice stitching with cards videos in there.

https://vimeo.com/album/2567386

--
-----
Deke Kincaid