Hey
thanks everyone for the input.
Good to know that other studios are using multipart exrs too
@Nathan we do post convert them with the a custom tool as we have not found another way to preserve or generate different bit depths per layer. @Jed we will try to do the same here, I guess that is about the only test we can do too :-)

My question rose mainly because one of our compers, was having huge cpu hits (in an interactive nuke session), he then used the "monolithic" old exr and stated these cpu hits were gone...
But this might have been related to anything but the exr change too.

My experience sofar is the same as Jeds, read performance is obviously better, I still want to compare it to "splitted" exrs sometime soon.

As we are under Windows I never want to run into the "too many open files" error again. So I am keen on using the multi parts, and asset management wise it is also less to worry about (in terms of files). Sure rerendering only one AOV gets complicated, still sampling needs to be the same anyway and creating a seperate renderLayer is not at problem.

Once I have done the test I ll post them here.

Cheers
Johannes