As an aside, we are writing our frames to a temp locally, then copying them. One of our td's ran quite a few tests and determined that the network load was significantly higher (and ultimately slower) with network only renders. Rendering locally and then a cp /tmp/finishedframe -> /net/finishedframe reduced the load and improved throughput a lot.

I think we still drop a 'touch' tmp file to the net destination to let the render manager know the frame is being worked on, which as a bonus concerning your issue, puts the control of it's cleanup back in our hands.

JRAB