Yes. We use it, or rather try to use it, for long form and 45-60 min
episodicals. The quicker you accept that it's not usable for this the better of
you are. Sadly. They say that nS10 will improve this enormously but today it's
a disaster. It's been like this for day one and I and others have loudly
complained but without luck so far. Please send your experience to support so
they can log it and so that these issues are up voted.

Some people have resorted to work in reels instead of whole timelines. That's
not something I'll ever do though. Wouldn't fit my working style and would only
mean. I would have 4 projects open at the same time, which wouldn't help.

A few of my "workarounds":
* only conform the VFX shots. Never conform the whole timeline. If needed for
review, conform a few shots before and after VFX.

* never copy all cuts to the reference media. We export reference into our
comps but we only slice up the parts where there's VFX shots. NS chokes with
many cuts/items. Also play with different formats of your reference. Noticed
that codec of your reference and also the codec of the audio in it can affect
performance a lot. Not sure what's the best though. If you find out, let me
know. =)

* save a lot because it crashes a lot.

* also, even though it can take a good 10 minutes to restart it... Do it
regularly since a restart of it normally tends to give you 30-40 mins of less
lockups, until it have leaked and filled your memory again.

* if there's something like 'Sudu purge' or other memory purge solution for
Windows, try that. Monitor your memory and see how it's used. Even with 128 GB
RAM it will eventually come to a halt but it'll give you a few more minutes at
least.

Also, have a few spare keyboards handy. Have out of frustration hulk smashed a
few myself. The marketing of nS doesn't really reflect the reality of it atm. =/

Cheers

--
Henrik Cednert
cto | td | compositor