I asked over on SSA and there's not really a definitive answer on mapped vs
unc yet, when it comes to Nuking.  They all seem to be mostly over it, so
it could have went extinct as a problem along the way or been specific to
certain environment combinations.

I still map as a "best practice" even though I find it annoying, because
for a while there I got lax about it and started seeing delays and
problems.  Nothing like waiting for the file dialog for 30s when you hit
R.  Buzz kill!

I remember having to write a script that reconnects to mapped volumes on a
delay, because otherwise win7 would want to reconnect before the network
was up and running and would trigger an error.

I'll be doing some testing over the holidays here in the hopes of upping my
Nuke and Windows version both to 10, and actually hoping that Freenas
releases their v10 (what's up with v10 all around?) stable by then too so I
can just up everything all in one go.  And subsequently have no idea what
is causing problems when everything breaks!  ha ha.

The new Freenas should have all the latest samba goodness, should all be an
improvement all around.

Although I will surely be diving for a "make windows 10 like 7 again"
scripts.