we did some CPU vs FFT tests aswell, but I can't remember the exact kernel
size where FFT started to be more efficient, but it was rather low. On the
flip side Convolve on the GPU seem to have some memory problems and (at
least for us) cause some random out of memory issues, even on beefy cards.

We found that using gaming techniques: up-scaling low frequency areas (then
convolving) and only full convolving of high frequency areas to be to be
quite efficient for the vast majority of our renders where the plate is
gigantic or a large kernel size is needed.
The result is perceptually indistinguishable.