Yes I like the name.

The primary use-case for Matplotlib is that our `hist` method can take in a
list of arrays and produces N histograms in one shot. Currently with 'auto'
we only use the first data set to sort out what the bins should be and then
re-use those for the rest of the data sets.  This will let us get the bins
on the merged input, but I take Josef's point that this is not actually
what we want....

Tom