Hi Ralf,

On Thu, 31 May 2018 21:57:06 -0700, Ralf Gommers wrote:
> - "internal refactorings": MaskedArray yes, but the other ones no.
> numpy.distutils and f2py are very hard to test, a big refactor pretty much
> guarantees breakage. there's also not much need for refactoring, because
> those things are not coupled to the numpy.core internals. numpy.financial
> is simply uninteresting - we wish it wasn't there but it is, so now it
> simply stays where it is.

I want to clarify that in the current notes we put down ideas that
prompted active discussion, even if they weren't necessarily feasible.
I feel it is important to keep the conversation open to run its course
until we have a good understanding of the various issues at hand.

You may find that, in person, people are more willing to admit to their
support for some "heretical" ideas than they are here on the list.

E.g., you say that the financial functions "now simply stay", but that
promises a future of a NumPy that never shrinks, while there is
certainly some support for allowing NumPy to contract so that we can
release maintenance burden and allow development of other core areas
that have been neglected for a long time.

You will *always* have small, vocal proponents of any specific piece of
functionality; that doesn't necessarily mean that such functionality
contributes to the health of a project as a whole.

So, I gently urge us carefully reconsider the narrative that nothing can
change/be removed, and evaluate each suggestion carefully, not weighing
only the very evident negatives but also the longer term positives.

Best regards,
Stéfan