On Sun, Jul 22, 2018 at 12:28 PM Ralf Gommers <ralf.gomm...@gmail.com>
wrote:

>  In particular, I'd like every deprecation message to say "this deprecated
> feature will be removed by release X.Y.0". At the moment we don't do that,
> so if users see a message they don't know if a removal will happen next
> year, in the far future (2.0), or never. The major version thing is quite
> useful to signal our intent. Doesn't mean we need to exhaustively discuss
> when to do a 2.0 though, I agree that that's not a very useful discussion
> right now.

I think a more realistic policy would be to say, "This feature was
deprecated by release X.Y and may be removed as early as release X.Z."

In general we have been conservative in terms of actually finalizing
deprecations in NumPy, which I think is warranted given irregularity of our
release cycle. It's hard to know exactly which release is going to come out
a year or 18 months from when a deprecation starts.

> Happy to remove this though if people don't like it. Other opinions?

I would also lean towards removing mention of any major version changes for
NumPy.